Comtest Training, Seminars & Workshops
Click on the Training, Seminars or Workshops title for more information regarding date, time and location.
Thermography: Extended Basic Training
CPD Credits: 2
Cost: R5 800ex VAT
|Date: 27-28 May 2019
||Date: 12-13 August 2019
||Date: 14-15 October 2019
TBC, Cape Town
By the end of this 2-days introduction training a participant will understand the complete thermography workflow, which includes most important basic principles of Infrared measurements, efficient use of thermal camera, understanding of the most important camera settings, basics of how to interpret images created during the inspection and how to efficiently report about findings during thermal imaging inspection.
This training will point out the efficiency of Infrared inspections on various installations and types of equipment. In a safe and fast way, by non-contact measurements, an inspector can very easily and efficiently determine temperatures of objects being part of the installation. By finding hotspots (e.g. caused by bad contacts or overheating components) inspectors can prevent downtime and even fire hazards.
Being able to understand the measurement principles explained is an important first step to provide data and conclusions used in a report out to the owner of installations inspected.
When executing thermal inspections an IR inspector must know the basic principles of Infrared.
The IR inspector must be aware of the do’s and don’ts of Infrared measurements. So the IR inspector is able to avoid wrong interpretations caused by measurement errors. And after completion of the inspection, the IR inspector must be able to provide a clear and accurate report, indicating the problems and avoiding false alarms on findings. This training will cover first steps to competence in the most important topics for IR inspector: how to get the right image, how to get the right measurement, how to evaluate results and how to report about findings. Doing this by an interleaving of theory blocks with exercises helping to learn theory by practice.
- Introduction into the world of thermography
- Important Thermography basics
- What is Thermography
- Temperature and energy (EM spectrum)
- Modes of heat transfer
- The term RAT
- Types of inspection: Qualitative versus Quantitative
- How to create the perfect Thermal image
- Range (level & span)
- How to get a perfect measurement?
- Distance and object size
- Camera settings: Emissivity and Background temperature
- Summary Day 1 + end exercise
- Closing day 1
- Quick review of Day 1 learnings
- Influence of load and environment
- Environmental conditions (wind/ventilation, air, humidity)
- Influence of load
- What do your measurement results mean?
- Approaches to assessment of inspection results
- Case studies for different assessment approaches
How to report your findings
- Typical reporting workflow
- Image optimization in software
- Annotations and analysis
- Creating a report
- A quick review of training course learnings
- Closing day 2